Email Marketing Campaign Success
To make email an efficient and cost-effective communication channel for your business, your email communications need to be:
- Well-designed and optimised
- Targeted to specific customer segments
- Tailored to the end-user
- Sent at the right time
Measuring Email Marketing Campaign Performance
One of the most important stages of any email marketing campaign is the actual analysis of it. Website/ landing page analysis and email marketing campaign analysis should be treated in tandem and will make or break the success of your overall email marketing strategy.
- A good email service provider (ESP), should provide a free analysis tools as part of their subscription.
- Google Analytics helps track email recipients’ actions once they click through to your Web site. For the majority of campaigns, you should direct emails to a web page, or a designated landing page.
- Start testing your email campaigns or newsletter elements with simple A/B testing taking a sample of 50-100 of your target audience. If you are strapped for time – lets face it, it happens – divide your subscriber list in half.
- Create your email marketing message or newsletter and change one element (subject line, from field, sending day, etc). Ensure your email is mobile and tablet optimised.
- Use your ESPs systems or embed code from Google or Yahoo Analytics, and send the two versions.
- Track which version shows the highest OR (Open Rates). Be cautious about using open rates only as a success measure as some recipients still view email through an email client‘s preview pane and OR does not reflect how many people actually read your email.
- Have a call to action on the landing page (to which you send email recipients). You then measure how many people took the action (taking a free trial, downloading a white paper, viewing a video, requesting a free consultation, making a purchase etc.)
- Resend the best performing email to a sample of the list remainder. Test time of the day.
- Analyze. Measure
- Resend the best performing email to the list remainder at the right time, as determined by your audience (through previous test)
- Analyze. Measure:
- CTR, web/landing page traffic and call to action conversion
- Bounce rate ( this will help you clean up your database or CRM system, which is so important for improving deliverability)
- Complaints ( Monitor blacklisting and take immediate action if blacklisted)
- Sales conversions ( if your email is transactional)
- Social Media conversions (if your email is social)
- What’s The Most Popular Email Marketing Password and Other Email Marketing Tid Bits (smallbiztechnology.com)
- The Science Behind Email Marketing (compukol.com)
- Email Marketing and Measurement (outwardmediablog.wordpress.com)
- Email Marketers Continue to Merge with Social Media. Unfortunately, Their SMB Customers Want More (marketingvox.com)
- 560 Resources for Blogging, Online Marketing, and Starting a Business (kikolani.com)
- 5 Huge Email Marketing Mistakes You Can Fix Now (indiemark.com)